Monday, October 15, 2007

This is not about your abilities

Today is the first day-off for us IST teachers. However, this break did not translate into a weekend of travel due to the pending 1st quarter exams next week and the impressive piles of work that come as a result. Nevertheless, I was able to fit in a highly anticipated visit to Nueva Suyapa, to meet some old and new friends. I am now a volunteer for our favorite Honduran organization, Association for More Just Society ( ASJ), working with the youth transformation project in Nueva Suyapa, one of the poorest neighborhoods in Tegucigalpa
There were about a dozen youth ranging from 13-20 years old, meeting in the newly established recreation room on the Onesimo school grounds. It was exhilirating to hear every single one of these leaders-in- training, voice their desire to see a change in their neighborhood. Fortunately, I was not obligated to contribute much, mostly because they were evaluating their work from the last year. Regardless, it was so important for me to just sit and listen to them share their past experiences and their goals for the future of the group. Please pray for the continued strengthening of this group of youth in Nueva Suyapa and the work they do for the betterment of their neighborhood. Since I am stepping in to provide support for this project and feel quite underqualified, please say a prayer for me as well.
As an answer to prayer,a teacher this week shared a verse from Exodus 4:11-12 that uplifted me. In Chapter 4, Moses is confused about why he is chosen for this daunting task of speaking for the Hebrew people and asks God to find someone " better qualified." Then the Lord responds- get ready for this one-, " Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who give them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." God is basically saying- this is not about your abilities, it's about mine. Whoa- powerful stuff. Recently, I have been feeling underqualified in so many areas of life ,but I have to hold steadfast to the truth that my gifts and talents come from God. This experience is allowing me to clearly see and trust that he is in control of every situation.

Thank-you friends and family for the encouraging emails and phonecalls this week; I can't thank you enough. I covet your prayers since it is going to be a very difficult week. I have always dreaded exam week and now I am the one the one distributing pain and suffering via tests. How do teachers manage?


Love, Love, and more Love

Grace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know sometimes when you read scripture from the new testament and the writer is referencing or quoting from old testament scripture? well yesterday that happened to me but the old testament scripture happened to be the old testament reading from the COS service i went to a few hours before. crazy!
anyways, it was really good to talk to you the other day, i look forward to hearing more about the new things you're going to be doing.

p.s.- remember, you're amazing

Anonymous said...

it's from a song by As Cities Burn called Contact, it's pretty good.