Thursday, October 25, 2007

I learn by going where I have to go.

I have started attending a church in a movie theatre. The cine-iglesia is called Redencion. The first service to which I went, they were still meeting in a hotel in the downtown area. Then I came to their bible study on a Tuesday and by the end of that night, I was signed-up to be part of their praise and worship team. Hilariously, on my second service, I was already singing in front of church. The church has a wonderful mission to meet people where they transit, which ends up being in more non-conventional places like the shopping center, Plaza Miraflores where the theatre is located. Our bible study groups will branch out from the liquadas business- a fruit smoothie-type establishment- where we now meet, to coffee shops, different universities, and in members’ homes.

It is very exciting to be part of this fledging church. We rock-out with a full band on Sundays, watch announcements on the “ big screen”, hear the word of God while sitting in movie theatre seats, and yes, the presence of God is very much in that place. We are a small group, and the moment I entered the group, I was warmly received into part of their family. They have lavished me with so much prayer and encouragement, ministering to me as the body of Christ by providing me with much needed spiritual direction.


Tuesday was the first day of first quarter exams. Everything was in place; so, naturally, everything had to go terribly wrong. All my exams were missing one page. We didn’t find this out until after they had all been distributed. To make matters worse, there were two versions of the test for both 10th and 11th grade - in order to minimize cheating- and my 90 odd students were scattered in ten different classrooms- also to minimize cheating- in the high school. Results: chaos. Copies had to be made expeditiously. I had to go to, literally, every single student and give them their added page, while at the same time, trying to entertain questions about the exam. I thought I understood the meaning of the word trust. I thought I understood the meaning of the word patience. Well, I was wrong on both counts.

God is teaching me many hard lessons on how to not just “ talk “ about having faith in Him, but actually living in this faith every day. Hebrews 11 talks about how this discipline is God’s training so that we might truly live lives of true worship and obedience. Being trained in the lessons of faith is not easy, but I believe that the alternative is far worse. Dallas Willard writes ,” Non discipleship costs abiding peace, a life penetrated throughout by love, faith that sees everything in the light of God's overriding governance for good, hopefulness that stands firm in the most
discouraging of circumstances, power to do what is right and withstand
the forces of evil. In short, it costs exactly the abundance of life Jesus said he came to bring."
I want this kind of abundant life. So I guess that means more training for me. I really enjoyed this following poem for many reasons; I hope you will too.



The Waking
by Theodore Roethke

I wake to sleep, and I take my waking slow
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear,
I learn by going where I have go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air.
And lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.

Love, Love, and more Love,

Grace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey grace, your church sounds good and interesting. sorry about your exams though, that sounds like a nightmare. i liked the part in your poem at the end about God blessing the ground and for you to walk lightly on that ground. just how it speaks of reverence and care that we should take in how we relate to God. i don't know, it was just good. anyways, hopefully we'll talk soon.