Monday, September 3, 2007

"So, that means you had Dengue," the doctor informed me.

Queridos amigos y familia!
I was told this afternoon by the school doctor that I most likely had Dengue Fever this last week. To recap a bit: I had my first day of classes this last Wednesday. School was delayed by two days because of a predicted strike and transportation hold that was sure to follow. I made use of those two days and barely finished my lesson plans. I also on the way, must have gotten bitten by a friendly mosquito, carrying dengue, that made its way into my room because of the gapping hole on the side and courtesty of the conveniently nearby pila, a cesspool for mosquitos, I am sure, outside my room.
Well, I was quite sick last week, but I figured it was the flu and just trudged through the week since it WAS my first week of classes.The doctor says since I show signs that dengue is leaving my system, it would be pointless to run any tests to confirm it. Dengue is an epidimeic in Honduras , especially because of the rainy season we are in currenly. The up side is that now I am immune to this one strain of Dengue for one year. Of course, since there are four types, I can always get the other three and feel like death all over again. I am taking all the available precautions so that doesn't happen again.

Please pray for my housemate Allie and I since we are both since recovering from being sick. We had different symptoms mostly, but it looks like we are both on our way to good health again. Also, please pray for the kids in my classes as well. Obvisously, I was sick so that made the week worse, but it was an extremely trying week regardless. I am gaining more and more respect for teachers everywhere.

No poem today since I can't think of any poems that talk about dengue fever.:(

Mucho amor

2 comments:

Jacqueline Klamer said...

Querida Grace,

You are a beautiful woman, even with dengue fever... I hope and pray that your body will continue to restrengthen and your mind and heart will continue to be encouraged as a teacher and guide. Poetry simply doesn't cut it for you... continue in breath and wonder.

Amor y paz, Jackie

Maree Ness said...

Yeah, no poems about dengue fever out there. Believe me I checked too. But i learned that it's also known as Break Bone Fever...doesn't that make you feel tough?