Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Living in the along

Friends,
Perhaps this may become tradition, I sure hope so, but below is another lovely poem that succintly captures my philosophy on life right now. My preparations for school thus far are in sore need of some help, many prayers coveted.
I was able to visit my old neighborhood Miraflores (woot) yesterday which was wonderful because I finally got to walk around a place I knew in Tegus. Although I did not find her at home I was able to talk with my host mom later that night and felt uplifted by her warm greeting and her statement that I was welcome back at"my house." I also went to the university, la UPN, where I had taken a literature class and magically ran into my old professor. It was one happy reunion.

Speech to the Young, Speech to the Progress-Toward

Say to them
say to the down-keeprs,
the sun -slapers,
the self-soilers,
the harmony-hushers,
"even if you are not ready for day
it cannot always be night."
You will be right
For that is the hard home-run

Live not for battles won.
Live not for the-end-of-the-song.
Live in the along.

by Gwendolyn Brooks

I know I am not ready for day, but I am learning that God is not interested whether I feel ready or not,whether I feel confident or not, or even if I feel called or not, he calls me to be obediant, to live in the along because that is where authentic faith and complete submission to the will of God is required. I am finding living in the along hard to do.

Much love

2 comments:

Karina said...

My dearest sister,
I really, really miss you!! Who's gonna make hummus and have dangerous late night runs?? I cannot even begin to imagine all the new and different things you are experiencing. I hope that in this special time, you are learning more about yourself. You may not know this, but you are a very strong and resilient individual. Your wisdom surpasses those of your elders. And it is with great pride that I call you my lil sis. These new experiences may seem daunting, but I ask that you tear down any walls or barriers and experiencing them raw. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Oh yeah and Danny says "hi" ... y'know, in his special Danny way.
Love,
Karina & Danny

Maree Ness said...

hey grace,

karina (and danny) said it better than i could. i love you lots. thank you for the poems and insight and such...they are a good reminder for me too.

maree